BHANDAL DENTAL PRACTICE
Code of Practice for Handling Complaints
In this practice we take complaints very seriously indeed and try to ensure that all patients are pleased
with their experience of our service. When patients complain, they are dealt with courteously and
promptly so that the matter is resolved as quickly as possible. This procedure is based on these
COMPLAINTS MADE TO THE PRACTICE
1. The person responsible for dealing with any complaints about the service is: Dr Bhandal
(supported by the practices complaints manager).
2. If a patient complains on the telephone or at the reception desk, we will listen to His or Her
complaint and offer to refer him or her to Dr B.S.Bhandal or the Practices Complaints Manager.
If Dr B.S.Bhandal is not available at the time, then the patient will be told when He or She will be
able to talk to the dentist and arrangements will be made for this to happen. The member of staff
will take brief details of the complaint and pass them on. If we cannot arrange this within a
reasonable period or if the patient does not wish to wait to discuss the matter, arrangements will
be made for someone else to deal with it.
3. If the patient complains in writing the letter will be passed on immediately to: Dr B.S.Bhandal or
the Practices Complaints Manager
4. If a complaint is about any aspect of clinical care or associated charges it will normally be referred
to the dentist, unless the patient does not want this to happen.
5. We will acknowledge the patient’s complaint and a copy of this Code of Practice within three
working days. You will be invited to discuss your concerns, we will seek to investigate
the complaint within the agreed response period of the complaint being received to give an
explanation of the circumstances which led to the complaint. If we are unable to investigate the
complaint within this agreed time period we will notify the patient, giving reasons for the delay and
a likely period within which the investigation will be completed.
6. We will confirm the decision about the complaint in writing immediately after completing our
7. Proper and comprehensive records are kept of any complaint received.
8. Bhandal Dental Practice welcomes all complaints; any patient that makes a complaint will not be
adversely treated due to having complained.
If you do not wish to complain directly to the Practice you can address your Complaint
NHS England Address: NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT
Telephone 0300 311 2233 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Independent Complaints Service Advocacy Service (ICAS)
Tel 0845 120 3748 pohwe.net/ho_we_can_help/independant.html
If you are not satisfied with the outcome from either the Practice or NHS England you have the
right to complain directly to:
PARLIMAMENTARY & HEALTH SERVICE OMBUDSMAN
www.ombudsman.org.uk 0345 015 4033